BRYAN-COLLEGE STATION, Texas The No. 24 Texas A&M men’s tennis team defeated Ole Miss, 6-1, and UTRGV, 6-1, Sunday to complete the home game for 2022 at the Mitchell Tennis Center. The Aggies improved to 21-10 in the season and 7-3 in league games, while the Rebels fell to 12-11 in the spring and 2-8 in conference games, and the Vaqueros moved to 5-16 in the year.
The Maroon & White opened the day by capturing the double point through victories on lanes one and three. No. 61 Noah Schachter and Know Taylor trampled No. 17 Finn Reynolds and Lukas Engelhardt, 6-2, on the top lane to secure the A&M duo’s highest ranked victory as a pair. Moments later, A & M’s Austin Abbrat and Stefan Storch secured a 6-4 decision against Jan Hallquist Lithen and Nikola Slavic to secure the double point.
The Aggies retained much of the momentum in the singles action as they totaled four out of six first sets. Raphael Perot was the first player off the field in the form of a 6-3, 7-5 victory over Reynolds on lane two that pushed A&M ahead 2-0. No. 104 Guido Marson made quick work of Hallquist Lithen in lane three and won 6-1, 7-5 to push the Aggies ahead 3-0.
Freshman Giulio Perego took the win for the Aggies with a 2-6, 6-3, 6-3 win over Engelhardt on lane four. The A&M freshman improved to 9-1 against league enemies, securing his team-leading fourth clinch victory of the season.
After the team result was secured, No. 80 Schachter No. 32 slavishly topped the top course and Luke Casper defeated Jakob Cadonau on lane six.
In the night cap, A&M swept all three doubles matches to march ahead of UTRGV 1-0. Taylor and Anish Sriniketh defeated George Hutchings and Misha Kvantaliani 6-4 at the top lane. Mathis Bondaz and Perot won Sam Whitehead and Chris Lawrence 6-4 on lane three followed by a 7-6 (3) victory by Storch and Rahul Dhokia on lane two.
Abbrat drove through a 6-0, 6-0 victory on lane six over Michael Davis to push A&M ahead of Vaqueros 2-0. Pierce Rollins posted a 6-1, 6-1 result over Whitehead on lane three followed by match clincher by Dhokia 6-1, 6-2 over Lawrence on lane five. After the Aggies secured the team victory, Storch and Sriniketh added singles victories.
The Aggies end the regular season away from home in No. 9 in South Carolina on Friday and at No. 3 in Florida on Sunday.
FOLLOW THE AGGIERS
Visit 12thMan.com for more information on Texas A&M Men’s Tennis. Aggie fans can also stay up to date with the A&M men’s tennis team on Facebook or on Twitter by following @AggieMTEN.
Steve DentonTexas A&M Head Coach
At the Ole Miss match …
“I was really pleased with how we came out in the doubles against Ole Miss. I think it was a big point against them because they are a good doubles team. It is clear that the conditions were terrible for both sides and our boys “It went pretty well. It was not great tennis out there, but our team did what they could under the conditions.”
At the UTRGV match …
“UTRGV was a very lively group and we had a close double on all three lines. The highlight of the match was watching Anish [Sriniketh] on senior day get to play number one and play well against a very good player. I was pleased with his efforts and everything he has done for Texas A&M tennis. He continues to be a good leader and exemplifies what it means to be a student-athlete and a good teammate. I was happy to see him come through and play at that level on that stage. It meant a lot to him and I know the guys gathered around him and were excited about him. “
Ole Miss vs. Texas A&M
4/9/2022 in BCS, TX
(Mitchell Tennis Center)
# 24 Texas A&M 6, Ole Miss 1
1. # 80 Noah Schachter (TAMU) def. # 32 Nikola Slavic (OM) 6-3, 2-6, 6-2
2. Raphael Perot (TAMU) def. Finn Reynolds (OM) 6-3, 7-5
3. # 104 Guido Marson (TAMU) def. J. Hallquist Lithen (OM) 6-1, 7-5
4. Giulio Perego (TAMU) def. Lukas Engelhardt (OM) 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
5. Simon Junk (OM) def. Matthis Ross (TAMU) 7-6 (7-3), 4-6, 1-0 (10-8)
6. Luke Casper (TAMU) def. Jakob Cadonau (OM) 6-2, 4-6, 6-1
1. # 61 Noah Schachter/Know Taylor (TAMU) def. # 17 Finn Reynolds / Lukas Engelhardt (OM) 6-2
2. Pierce Rollins/Giulio Perego (TAMU) vs. Simon Junk / Jan Søren Hain (OM) 4-5, unfinished
3. Stefan Storch/Austin Abbrat (TAMU) def. J. Hallquist Lithen / Nikola Slavic (OM) 6-4
Miss Ole 12-11, 2-8
Texas A&M 20-10, 7-3; National Ranking # 24
Finishing order: Double (1.3); Singles (2,3,4,1,6,5)
UT Rio Grande Valley vs. Texas A&M
4/10/2022 in BCS, TX
(Mitchell Tennis Center)
# 24 Texas A&M 6, UT Rio Grande Valley 1
1. Anish Sriniketh (TAMU) def. Misha Kvantaliani (UTRGV) 6-4, 7-6 (9-7)
2. Carlo Izurieta (UTRGV) def. Mathis Bondaz (TAMU) 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-6)
3. Pierce Rollins (TAMU) def. Sam Whitehead (UTRGV) 6-1, 6-1
4. Stefan Storch (TAMU) def. Alberto Mello (UTRGV) 6-1, 6-3
5. Rahul Dhokia (TAMU) def. Chris Lawrance (UTRGV) 6-1, 6-2
6. Austin Abbrat (TAMU) def. Michael Davis (UTRGV) 6-0, 6-0
1. Anish Sriniketh/Know Taylor (TAMU) def. George Hutchings / Misha Kvantaliani (UTRGV) 6-4
2. Rahul Dhokia/Stefan Storch (TAMU) def. Alberto Mello / Carlo Izurieta (UTRGV) 7-6 (7-3)
3. Mathis Bondaz/Raphael Perot (TAMU) def. Sam Whitehead / Chris Lawrance (UTRGV) 6-4
UT Rio Grande Valley 5-16
Texas A&M 21-10; National Ranking # 24
Finishing order: Double (1,3,2); Singles (6,3,5,4,1,2)