“Again, we sat behind the eight-ball by losing doubles and it ended up coming down to the final game on the court,” the head coach said. Jayson Wiseman. “Unfortunately it did not go our way and we were only a few points both ways from winning the victory. We played with a big heart and effort but just could not get the result we wanted.”
Wiseman later added: “Despite being tired and suffering from emotional failure after the Miami loss, we did a good job of producing some energy and we were able to double the point and transfer it to singles to win Dayton. “
How it happened
Against Miami, Eastern did not manage to get the double point, but saw success from individuals in singles games. Freshman Prerna Vichare (Mumbai, India-College of Commerce and Economics) earned a hard-fought victory at No. 2, 4-6, 7-6, 6-2. In the four places, red jersey second time Isabelle Popma (Staphorst, Holland-Center for Sport and Education) also won in three sets, 4-6, 6-4, 7-5, while the classmate Emma-Lou Pommiers (Aire-sur-l’Adour, France-Saint Dominique Pau) defeated his RedHawk opponent in straight sets, 6-1, 6-4, as No. 6. The Eagles could not cope with the rebellion and fell 4-3.
Eastern Michigan turned the day against Dayton and got the double point settled. The freshmen Sabina Brichackova (Cheb, Czech-Gymnasium Jana Blahoslava) and Vichare won 6-1, at once, while Popma and red shirt senior Vasavi Ganesan (Chennai, India-Alagappa Matriculation School (Eastern Florida State)) won a 6-2 victory. In singles, Brichackova (3-6, 7-5, 1-0), Ganesan (6-3, 6-2) and Pommiers (6-1, 6-1) all won by two, five, and six, respectively. Red shirt senior Luisa Pelayo (Porto, Portugal-Colegio CEBES (Wright-stat)) also defeated its Flyer opposition, 6-2, 6-3, in No. 1 spot, ending a 3-1 weekend for the Portuguese native. The Green and Whites ended the weekend with a 5-2 victory over the Foreign Ministry.
Brindtha Ramasamy / Laura Rico (MIAMI) def. Sabina Brichackova/Prerna Vichare (EMU) 6-0
2. Sarah Dev / Emilia Valentinsson (MIAMI) vs. Vasavi Ganesan/Isabelle Popma (EMU) 2-5, unfinished
3. Nishitha Saravanan / Sara Zalukar (MIAMI) def. Luisa Pelayo/Grace Whitney (EMU) 6-3
1. Brindtha Ramasamy (MIAMI) def. Luisa Pelayo (EMU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Prerna Vichare (EMU) def. Laura Rico (MIAMI) 4-6, 7-6, 6-2
3. Nishitha Saravanan (MIAMI) def. Sabina Brichackova (EMU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Isabelle Popma (EMU) def. Sara Zalukar (MIAMI) 4-6, 6-4, 7-5
5. Emilia Valentinsson (MIAMI) def. Vasavi Ganesan (EMU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
6. Emma-Lou Pommiers (EMU) def. Sarah Dev (MIAMI) 6-1, 6-4
1. Sabina Brichackova/Prerna Vichare (EMU) def. Laura Greb / Erica Wojcikiewicz (DAYTON) 6-1
2. Vasavi Ganesan/Isabelle Popma (EMU) def. Elizabeth Hamilton / Jordan Mitchell (DAYTON) 6-2
3. Sarah DeMarco / Neena Katauskas (DAYTON) vs. Luisa Pelayo/Grace Whitney (EMU) 5-5, unfinished
1. Luisa Pelayo (EMU) def. Elizabeth Hamilton (DAYTON) 6-2, 6-3
2. Erica Wojcikiewicz (DAYTON) def. Prerna Vichare (EMU) 1-6, 6-1, 0-4 retired
3. Sabina Brichackova (EMU) def. Neena Katauskas (DAYTON) 3-6, 7-5, 1-0
Laura Greb (DAYTON) def. Isabelle Popma (EMU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Vasavi Ganesan (EMU) def. Sarah DeMarco (DAYTON) 6-3, 6-2
6. Emma-Lou Pommiers (EMU) def. Jordan Mitchell (DAYTON) 6-1, 6-1
Eastern Michigan returns to action Friday, April 8 in DeKalb, Ill. to receive Northern Illinois University at 13.00 CT. The Eagles then return home for a double-header with University at Buffalo and Ferris State University on Sunday, April 10, with these games scheduled for 1pm and 5.30pm respectively.