ANNAPOLIS, Md. – Navy men’s tennis team shared a couple of road matches on Sunday, defeating Mount St. Mary’s (3-8) with the score 7-0 and lost a 6-1 decision to No. 22 Columbia (10) -5).
Navy won double point against Mount St. Mary’s by sending a 6-1 win at the No. 1 flight and a 6-2 win at the No. 3 double. The team of Find Garner (Jr., Arnold, Md.) And Luke Garner (Fr., Arnold, Md.) Won the previous match and the duo off Cy McLeod (Fr., Augusta, Ga.) And Christian Pumpelly (Jr., Atlanta, Ga.) Won the latter.
William Pak (So., Chantilly, Va.) Then posted a 6-1, 6-3 match on No. 5 singles to make the score 2-0. Nicholas Nguyen (So., McLean, Va.) Recorded a 7-6 (7-5), 6-4 victory on the No. 3 flight to increase the lead to 3-0. Find Garner beat the match with a 6-2, 5-7, 6-0 victory at No. 1 singles.
The remaining matches then Jan Kjellberg (Sr., White Plains, NY) wins in straight set at No. 6 singles, Conners O’Brien (Sr., Rensselaer, NY) achieved a three-set victory at No. 4 singles and Luke Garner record a victory in three sets of No. 2 singles.
“It was a good job of our team today to fight through very cold and windy conditions,” said Navy associate head coach John Moreland. “They put in a solid team effort to win.”
The Lions were the team to win the double point against the Navy. Columbia first won a 6-2 match at No. 1 singles and then posted a 6-4 victory at No. 3 flight. The Navy’s No. 3 team consisted of Jack Dabek (Sr., Dublin, Ohio) and Jack McBride (Sr., Chapel Hill, NC).
Sasha Panyan (So., Lutherville, Md.) Was the lone Middle who won a singles match against Columbia. He delivered a 7-6 (7-4), 6-0 victory on the No. 5 flight. In addition, Dabek lost a 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-7) decision at No. 6 singles, and Derrick Thompson (Sr., Towson, Md.) Battled with 12th-ranked Alex Kotzen in a fight at No. 1 single, which was the last to finish. Kotzen took over Thompson with the score 7-5, 6-4.
“It was a great experience playing against a strong, highly ranked team in Columbia,” said Navy head coach Chris Garner. “Our team competed well against them. Sasha obviously had a fantastic victory. He played really well. Also Derrick and Jack Dabek played very close and long matches. “
The Navy will play four more games this coming weekend, starting with Saturday’s games against Howard (10 a.m.) and Bucknell (2 p.m.), both of which will be played in Annapolis.
Navy (20-9) def. Mount St. Mary’s (3-8), 7-0
Double – Navy wins double point (3-1)
1. Garner, Finn / Garner, Luke (NAVY) def. Abriola, Giovanni / Zachiotis, Filippos (MOUNT) 6-1
2. Armstrong, Russell / Dagklis, Christos (MOUNT) vs. Kjellberg, Jan / Nguyen, Nicholas (NAVY) 3-5, unfinished
3. McLeod, Cy / Pumpelly, Christian (NAVY) def. Cronin, Marcel / Martinez Zuccardi, Pablo (MOUNT) 6-2
1. Garner, Finn (NAVY) def. Zachiotis, Filippos (MOUNT) 6-2, 5-7, 6-0
2. Garner, Luke (NAVY) def. Abriola, Giovanni (MOUNT) 6-7 (5-7), 6-4, 6-4
3. Nguyen, Nicholas (NAVY) def. Cronin, Marcel (MOUNT) 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
4. O’Brien, Conners (NAVY) def. Huynh, Nick (MOUNT) 7-5, 4-6, 6-3
5. Pak, William (NAVY) def. Martinez Zuccardi, Pablo (MOUNT) 6-1, 6-3
6. Kjellberg, Jan (NAVY) def. Armstrong, Russell (MOUNT) 7-5, 6-4
No. 22 Columbia (10-5) def. Navy (20-10), 6-1
Double – Columbia wins double point (1-3)
1. Ruger, Henry / Winegar, Theo (COL) def. Panyan, Sasha / Segraves, Gavin (NAVY) 6-2
2. Hashimoto, Hugo / Kotzen, Alex (COL) vs. Fishkin, Jake / Thompson, Derrick (NAVY) 5-3, unfinished
3. Horvat, Roko / Huang, Austen (COL) def. Dabek, Jack / McBride, Jack (NAVY) 6-4
1. # 12 Kotzen, Alex (COL) def. Thompson, Derrick (NAVY) 7-5, 6-4
2. Hashimoto, Hugo (COL) def. Segraves, Gavin (NAVY) 6-1, 6-2
3. Ruger, Henry (COL) def. Fishkin, Jake (NAVY) 6-1, 6-4
4. Huang, Austen (COL) def. McBride, Jack (NAVY) 6-3, 6-0
5. Panyan, Sasha (NAVY) def. Horvat, Roko (COL) 7-6 (7-4), 6-0
6. Winegar, Theo (COL) def. Dabek, Jack (NAVY) 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-7)