ANNAPOLIS, Md. The Six Mids won a few games on the day as the Navy (22-10, 3-0) men’s tennis team delivered a 7-0 victory over Howard (5-7) and a 6-1 victory over Bucknell (7-15, 2-2), Saturday at the USNA Tennis Courts in Annapolis.
The Navy did not lose a match by quickly winning the first two doubles matches to end its match against Howard. Luke Garner (Fr., Arnold, Md.) And Sasha Panyan (That is, Lutherville, Md.) First agreed on the victory in the No. 1 flight Jan Kjellberg (Sr., White Plains, NY) and Christian Pumpelly (Jr., Atlanta, Ga.) Combined for a No. 3 doubles victory.
The Mids won the first set in five of the six singles matches en route to winning four straight set matches. Sam Vagner (Sr., Staten Island, NY) won a 6-0, 6-1 decision on the No. 6 flight to 2-0. Garner won, 6-3, 6-2, at No. 2 to increase the lead to 3-0. Nicholas Nguyen (So., McLean, Va.) Managed the overall match when he won, 6-4, 6-0, in No. 3 singles.
Winning three-set matches for Mids was, in order, William Pak (So, Chantilly, Va.) At No. 5, Panyan at No. 1 and Conners O’Brien (Sr., Rensselaer, NY) at No. 4.
The Navy’s second match of the day was very similar to its first. Mids won at No. 3 and No. 2 doubles to earn the starting points of the match. Jack Dabek (Sr., Dublin, Ohio) and Jack McBride (Sr., Chapel Hill, NC) lost only one match by winning by the former Find Garner (Jr., Arnold, Md.) And Gavin Segraves (Jr., Charlottesville, Va.) Won, 6-2, by the latter.
McBride delivered a 6-1, 6-0 victory at No. 5 singles in the first match at the end. Derrick Thompson (Sr., Towson, Md.) Achieved a 6-1, 6-2 victory at No. 1 singles to give the Mids a 3-0 lead. Dabek secured the decision when he won, 6-1, 6-2, by No. 6 singles.
Segraves at No. 2 and Garner at No. 3 each won a match that was settled in a third set by 10 points.
The Navy will play a couple of road games in the Patriot League on Sunday as Mids face Lafayette and Holy Cross.
Navy (21-10) def. Howard (5-7), 7-0
Doubles – Navy wins double point (1-3-2)
1. Garner, Luke / Panyan, Sasha (NAVY) def. CADEAU, Justin / DUNAC, Daniel (HOWM) 6-0
2. BAILEY, Tory / DAWSON, Marcel (HOWM) def. Nguyen, Nicholas / Pak, William (NAVY) 6-3
3. Kjellberg, Jan / Pumpelly, Christian (NAVY) def. KNOWLES, Gabe / MARTIN, Kyle (HOWM) 6-0
1. Panyan, Sasha (NAVY) def. CADEAU, Justin (HOWM) 7-5, 2-6, 1-0 (10-2)
2. Garner, Luke (NAVY) def. BAILEY, Tory (HOWM) 6-3, 6-2
3. Nguyen, Nicholas (NAVY) def. DAWSON, Marcel (HOWM) 6-4, 6-0
4. O’Brien, Conners (NAVY) def. DUNAC, Daniel (HOWM) 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (10-8)
5. Pak, William (NAVY) def. DIENG, Hassimiyou (HOWM) 3-6, 6-2, 6-0
6. Vagner, Sam (NAVY) def. KNOWLES, Gabe (HOWM) 6-0, 6-1
Navy (22-10, 3-0) def. Bucknell (7-15, 2-2), 6-1
Double – Navy wins double point (3-2-1)
1. Harrison Gold / Nick Mueller (BUCKNELL) def. Fishkin, Jake / Thompson, Derrick (NAVY) 7-6 (9-7)
2. Garner, Finn / Segraves, Gavin (NAVY) def. Michael Owen / Tim Zelikovsky (BUCKNELL) 6-4
3. Dabek, Jack / McBride, Jack (NAVY) def. Ink Chen / Nicolas Grunig (BUCKNELL) 6-1
1. Thompson, Derrick (NAVY) def. Harrison Gold (BUCKNELL) 6-1, 6-2
2. Segraves, Gavin (NAVY) def. Nick Mueller (BUCKNELL) 3-6, 6-1, 1-0 (10-4)
3. Garner, Finn (NAVY) def. Michael Owen (BUCKNELL) 6-2, 3-6, 1-0 (10-5)
4. Tim Zelikovsky (BUCKNELL) def. Fishkin, Jake (NAVY) 6-1, 6-4
5. McBride, Jack (NAVY) def. Ink Chen (BUCKNELL) 6-1, 6-0
6. Dabek, Jack (NAVY) def. Nicolas Grunig (BUCKNELL) 6-1, 6-2